Existing Member?

Creating PEACE through cultural PRIDE!

Documentary Scholarship 2011 entry

WORLDWIDE | Wednesday, 1 June 2011 | Views [1091] | Scholarship Entry

*UPDATE: Please get in touch!! I would love to work with like-minded film-makers like everyone who entered this years competition!!! Contact me on Facebook & TWITTER! >>>

For as long as I can remember, I’ve been volunteering my time to share inspiring projects through film. I choose motivational, sustainable projects – or they choose me.

Filming overseas, sometimes I find something even more inspiring than I intended on capturing.

Last year I filmed a team in a bike race called the "Tour De Timor", raising money for an organization “Timor Aid.”

Two days before the biking team arrived, Timor Aid drove me 9 hours away to experience a night in the village of "Suai".

Wow! Although it’s the poorest country in SE Asia, Timor-Leste had a pride for their culture that was emotionally overwhelming!

A week later in the final day of the race; I filmed the Presidents speech congratulating the bike riders. His words instantly took me back to that village of Suai. His answer to PEACE was through the PRIDE of the people. I had discovered a new story, which I didn’t even know existed before I arrived.

Stories like this are why I make documentaries – it’s not just about what you intend to film, but the lifestyle of being a film-maker means you are constantly searching, connecting, and engaging with people to discover the “gem.”

Tags: #2011video, travel documentary scholarship 2011

About jacqui_hocking


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.